Want to know about some mind-blowing surprising facts about the universe? Then check out this article, we have gathered down some of the most interesting facts about the universe. Read on!
1. First ever black hole photographed is 3 million times the size of the Earth
The first-ever black hole photograph which was released in 2019 is stated to be 310 million trillion miles away from the earth. The photograph showed a halo of gas and dust. The photo was captured by the Event Horizon Telescope, a network of eight linked telescopes.
2. The universe is filled with invisible stuff
The universe is made up of things that cannot be seen. However, according to astronomers, the planets, the stars, and the galaxies that can be detected make up only 4% of the universe. The other 96% is made up of substances that cannot be seen.
3. There is floating water in space
Astronomers have found a massive water vapor cloud that holds up to 150 trillion times of water in the Earth’s Ocean which is 10 billion light years away. According to the astronomers, this is the largest discovery of water ever found.
4. The universe is extremely old
The universe is estimated to be approximately 13.7 billion years old. Astronomers calculated this figure by measuring the composition of density and matter in the universe which enabled them to find out how fast the universe expanded in the past.
5. Footprints on moon will stay there for the next 100 million years
As the moon has no atmosphere, it has no water to wash off the footprints and no wind to erode the surface. Hence, the footprints of the astronauts will be there for 100 million years.
6. Space is completely silent
There is no atmosphere in space which means that the sounds have no source of medium to travel to be heard. Therefore, the astronauts use radios to stay in communication while in space.
7. No one knows how many stars are out there in space
As per the recent studies, astronomers and scientists, there are about 200 to 400 billion stars in the milky way. There are also billions of galaxies in our universe but still it is highly impossible to predict as to how many stars there are in the universe.